Mustard seed?

The scripture at church this morning was the parable of the mustard
seed. The point is well made, but I've often wondered just what was
considered mustard in the Middle East 2000 years ago.  It certainly
doesn't sound like the mustard I grow in my garden, or the wild
mustard that grows around here.  Any ideas as to what it was?