From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 1:27 PM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: [CHAT] Ah, summer

It was a pretty low-key weekend in my garden. I wasn't expecting to do much
since they were forecasting temperatures up to 112. It wasn't quite that
bad, I think it got to 105, and just to add to the enjoyment we had quite a
bit more humidity than normal. Very strange for here to see overcast and
high temperatures.
It's definitely the year of the critter in my vegetable garden. I've even
had tomato plants chewed on, rabbits presumably, that's a first. I ended up
putting a square of bricks around the stems of the plants so at least they
couldn't chew the thing off right at ground level, we lost one of them that
way while I was gone. The soybeans are dwindling too. So I'm working on
fortifying the fence, I'm putting wire along the ground so they can't dig
underneath. Thankfully we have piles of extra stuff sitting around so I
don't have to buy anything. But I'm sure that's only a stopgap until they
figure out something new. The suggestion of the electrified 4x4s along the
ground is starting to look pretty good.
Zucchini are in abundance again, the cherry tomatoes are starting to show a
little color, the beans are flowering - but who knows if they'll pollinate
in this heat, that goes for the corn too. I could complain about the grass
in the herb bed, but I picked about 2 pounds of cilantro on Sunday so, you
know, it could be worse. Tried pulling up the grass but it is so entangled
with the herbs I ended up losing a couple of basil plants, so I'm just
trying to break the grass off short and keep it out of the way. If only I
could train those rabbits to eat selectively!
My roses are taking a breather before the next round, all except for Betty
Boop which flowers continually all summer. The dry garden still looks pretty
darn good, with penstemons, buckwheat, salvias, desert willow, silk tree,
opuntia, and kniphofia all blooming. Even a few California poppies are
hanging in there. The daylilies have started and I'm thinking I really need
to replace a bunch of them that I don't like now. The shasta daisies are
opening and I have some lilies that shot up to about 7' this year, wow.
Still plenty of weeds too, especially in the Japanese garden. Thankfully my
husband is capable of distinguishing weeds from plants in there, and he's
willing to do it.
My friend and I went cherry-picking over the weekend so I'll be making jam
tonight. And this week I need to decide what I'm entering in the fair and
send off my form. I like summer.

Cyndi