Re: ants and mulch

And, carpenter ants can usually be controlled by making sure you have no
branches touching your house/roof and sealing your windows.  They keep very
clean nests so you can find them by looking for their refuse piles near the
entrance of their nests.  They usually stay in trees but will come in
looking for water and food.  When there is plenty of pollen, you usually
don't see them.

The small ones shouldn't be much of a problem.  You could kill them with
hot water but I would just let them go.  They will find other places in
your gardens to hide out.  They also don't like cucumber...maybe plant one
in your bed?