Re: OT- photos

> Then, when I went to hort.net to snip the URL, I see the spammers got
> Chris and he shut it down.

Sorry about that.  :(

After not getting any Google ad checks for six months, I started poking
around.  The Google ad revenue showed one day in October when everything
just tanked, and it stayed low from then on.  Searching some more, I
discovered that McAfee was listing us as a spam site that people shouldn't
visit, so I notified McAfee to explain that we just redirected URLs and
didn't have anything to do with the content people redirected to.

(spammers were submitting URLs for their sites to sHORTurl, then sending
out the the new hort.net URL in their emails)

hort.net was removed from the blacklist and the Google ad revenue jumped
back up to its pre-October levels overnight.  But then things got worse;
hort.net got blacklisted for email as well, so some people couldn't send
mail here because their ISP wouldn't let them.

I realized that I had no other options but to turn the redirection service
off for a while.  For a little while afterwards hort.net had some problems
because we were getting attacked by people who were both upset with the
spam that came right before I turned off the redirection service (it went
to a *lot* of people) and by the spammers who were upset that they couldn't
use hort.net any more.  The site was being pummeled, but things eventually
let up and everything was finally back to normal.

I hope to open up sHORTurl again, but only to people with hort.net accounts
that have been around for 24 hours or more.  But right now it's not a super-
high priority since I have several hundred plants to pot up still.  :)

http://www.bonvivantnursery.com/                     Bon Vivant Nursery
http://www.hort.net/gallery/      4091 online plant photos and growing!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/date/2007-05-28/       The latest additions