Re: The First Zucchini

Congratulations on your first zucchini.  I have been fretting
because none that I planted a couple of weeks ago, nor any
of the sunflowers I planted at the same time came up.  Then
I happened to notice empty husks of squash and sunflower
seeds lying on the ground near where they had been planted.
I don't know if the culprits were birds or chipmunks, but I'm
guessing the latter, since they are especially numerous this
year.  I have replanted, adding a generious helping of red
pepper flakes to the hole and surrounding ground.  If it was
chippies, that might help, but not if it was birds.  Frustrating!
Auralie

In a message dated 06/06/2007 10:48:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,