Re: The First Zucchini; first tomato

Bonnie, Cyndi--Yes, two seasons, but we start the second one [October planting] with new plants. Most tomatoes--with the exception of the wild tomato--just peter out when it gets hot at night. The wild one will produce heavily into mid summer before it dies off. We've tried to hold regular tomato plants, both slicing and paste types, over, but it doesn't work very well; they seem to lose vigor, have severe die-back in the heat, and never quite recover. We've even tried pruning them back... but the results were the same.

Have to admit, I've never tried it with cherry tomatoes, because we've never grown them, but this year we have some in a hanging basket, so I think I'll prune and monitor.

Peppers are different; they'll produce like crazy for 3-4 years with only modest attention during their summer siesta. Our Turkish pepper is into it's second year and is way more productive than it was last year. I started drying and grinding the little devils this year, and so far have about 8 ounces of powder that will peel your head like an onion, but makes great chili powder when diluted with sufficient paprika and other spices [cumano, oregano, thyme, etc].

On Jun 8, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

Do you not get two seasons of tomatoes?

[Original Message]
From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 6/8/2007 1:11:41 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] The First Zucchini; first tomato

Interesting, Bonnie, and... amusing. I just harvested my last tomato of
the season.

On Jun 8, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

I have just harvested the first of my soft-neck garlic...large and nice
flavor.  Also, have my first tomato of the season.

Speaking of National Geographic, you might want to see "A Passion for
Order", June 2007 issue on Linnaeus.