Back to gardening

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Back to gardening
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:58:08 -0700

I got back into the garden this weekend. Of course I didn't get as much
done outside as I wanted, I never do, but the veg garden at least looks
pretty good even if my front yard is still a disaster area. I need to
rip out the peas as they are not producing flowers any more, so no new
peas, and the lettuce can go as well, but otherwise there isn't much
else to do there. I uncovered the pepper plants this weekend. I had
tried something a little different this year - I thought if I laid out
the irrigation hose and started watering about a month before I put out
the peppers I would germinate all the weeds. Then I could weed once and
plant the peppers, not have to do much weeding again. It didn't work at
all, it was a jungle under there. Probably the row cover I put on helps
weeds too, and probably if I'd mulched that would have cut back on
weeds.  I was in a hurry to get them into the ground before I left on
vacation so I could have been more thorough. I noticed I had several
cases of damping off on the transplants, haven't seen that before, so I
don't have as many bell peppers as I planned. At least, I think they're
the bell peppers - being in a hurry, I didn't write it down assuming I'd
remember. Apparently when I'm planting I don't remember that I won't
remember because this isn't the first time I've done that. If they were
chile peppers that died out I no longer have any jalapenos...but I think
it was bells. So anyway, there are about 22 sweet pepper plants and
about 30 chile peppers. Unless it's the other way around. :-)
Lots of little green tomatoes and so far (knock on wood) no signs of
BER. Green beans are just starting to flower so I'm hoping desperately
for reasonable temperatures for another 3 weeks. Soybeans are flowering
but I have not yet caught the rabbit that keeps burrowing in under the
fence there, however, he is not eating much so I'm not frantic about it.
Onions look fabulous. The corn that did come up is doing fine but so far
the melons aren't...I had only one germinate and a rabbit nibbled it
back. It is putting out new leaves and I planted more last week, but
that seed is pretty old and it is very late to be planting.
My friend and I went to pick cherries on Sunday but there aren't any!
All the you-pick places are closed already. Usually Father's Day is the
height of the season so this is unusual. We think that the high temps we
had in early March combined with the freeze a few weeks later probably
didn't do the crop any good but still, it's awfully early for everything
to be gone. And I mean gone, usually you can see leftover fruit at the
very tops of the trees but everywhere we went there was no sign of fruit
at all. Oh well.  I have some plums turning color, I will have to pick
them before the birds get them like they did my apricots. At least this
tree is tall enough that the dogs can't get to the fruit.