Clematis mystery

My DH supports several organizations that have annual plant sales, and
he often buys some of the left-over plants - not out of interest in the plants
but just to support the organization.  Several years ago he brought home
a  clematis vine that had no name.  I have several other vines, but hey,
a clematis is always welcome, so I planted it on the garden fence beside
the others.  Well, right off the bat it became a problem because it
produced long vines but, unlike all other clematis I had ever seen, didn't
climb.  It has no tendrils - just six to eight foot vines.  It was a nuisance
tie it up against the fence, but so be it.  The next year when it bloomed,
the blooms were a bit of a disappointment - dark blue, bell-shaped four-
petal flowers about two inches across.  Not bad, but nothing to write
home about.  I looked through all my books, but could not find anything
that quite matched.  The blooms are similar to C. integrifolia, but the
vines don't fit.  It was just a gawky plant that had to be tied up and didn't
amount to much.
Well, this year it is blooming like crazy.  First came a lot of the dark-blue
bell-shaped, two-inch, four-petaled blossoms.  Next, I spotted a few
wide-open five-petaled blooms about six-inches across.  On one vine
that I had missed when I tied up the others, were a couple of nearly-white
stubby blooms, only about an inch across.  An finally, today, there are
several six-petaled, deeply recurved blooms with a reddish stripe on each
petal.  All of these are coming from the same root-stock.  What is going