Re: Crab watch

Hermit crabs are so cool. Our flower beds were mulched with crab-suitable shells when I lived in the Keys, and the hermit crabs there had an endless housing supply. They cracked me up.
zem
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:22 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Crab watch

Ms Fatma is baby-sitting a hermit crab this summer. A week or so ago we noticed that it seemed a bit large for its shell, so we purchased a larger one at a local souvenir shop. For the first few days, it dragged the new shell all around its tank--into its water bowl, into its food bowl--like it was introducing a new chum to the neighborhood. Well, last night, it parked next to the new shell, opening to opening. We think, maybe, it's going to move into the larger shell today or tonight.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10