Re: Pepper disappointment

Cyndi, that's terrible. You might have better luck than you think at the home store. The Home Depot where I work still has some really nice, and big, pepper plants.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 10:47 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Pepper disappointment

Every year in the veggie garden some things do really well and some
things don't. Last year was poor for tomatoes and beans, but they are
looking really good this year (fingers crossed, because it is getting a
little hot for good green bean growth and I haven't harvested yet).
Peppers are always super reliable but not this time. I was checking out
the sweet peppers last night because they really didn't seem to be
growing much. Pulled back the mulch and ants have eaten through the soft
part on the outside of all the main stems, leaving the poor things with
just the thin woody stem going into the ground.  They are alive but
there's not enough...mmmm what do you call it...tissue to send water and
nutrients up the stems. Looks like only the Giant Marconi were spared
and are still going to grow. I have had trouble with ants before on the
green beans, same problem they eat through the main stem,  but I usually
don't lose more than one or two plants. The chile peppers are all fine,
they are in a different bed, so at least I'll have those.
I'll have to get something to kill off the ants, drat it, and I suppose
if I can find any plants at the home store I'll buy them although it's
really too late to plant. Got nothing to lose (except a few dollars) by
trying I guess. And I was really looking forward to canning roasted
peppers too, we eat a lot of those in the winter. Oh well.