Re: Adventures in moving

Glad to hear you are somewhat settled and tackling the parts of your new
home you enjoy the most...and leaving the decorating to others.

andreah <andreah@hargray.com> wrote:
  Hi all! So glad to be home, both literally (as in my own home) and
figurativley back with you all.

My move has gone considerably well. To back track, I got to meet David weekend
before this past one. THAT was truly a highlight, as was meeting his wife
Linda and their son Jason. As I've already told David, I am embarrassed to
admit that I was utterly and completely hung over, and quite possibly still a
bit drunk when we met. I managed to get them lost and practically half way to
Beaufort before we connected on the cell phone and got turned back in the
right direction. I am usually not nearly that scattered, but the night before
I met up with a friend that I haven't seen in probably 10 years, whereby we
proceeded to go to the bar that we hung out in during our early 20's and got
smashed talking over old and new times. The beers and then tequila shots
started to flow and the next thing I knew it was 1:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, my mother lives 4 blocks from this bar so my friend was able to
get me home without us getting arrested. Plus, he outweighs me by about 100
pounds so he wasn't nearly as bad off as I was.

Meeting David and family was truly a fantastic experience, even though I
couldn't eat my breakfast. LOL! My only regret is that we didn't get to spend
more time together. We were able to deduce that northern California is very
dry compared to the coast of South Carolina and that's why everything here
stays green all year, who knew? I knew S. California was like that but assumed
the north was much like us. I'm glad they enjoyed touring Magnolia Gardens,
one of the old plantations as well as other spots. There are some great places
to go on the coast of SC.

AS for moving, the yard is coming along very slowly. OF course the last week
we got hit by the heat wave and no one feels like going out except in the
early morning and late evening. I just came in from watering. I have crinums
coming up in the front yard! I want to try and rescue them but am afraid of
killing myself trying to get them out, or killing the bulbs as they manage to
bury themselves very very deep. I'm sstill battling the bamboo, wisteria,
grape vines, briars, etc that have taken over. We ended up clear cutting the
stuff along the street that was hiding the house from the road. There simply
was no other way to do it. I've started over and have started planting things
that actually will look good growing there and eventually hide the house.

I had a raccoon living under the house and also in one of the stands of bamboo
outside. I paid $120 to have someone come and trap him, so he gets in, gets
the bait, and gets out. So, one night I put a whole can of dog food in the
trap. Next morning I looked and didn't see him, so I let the dogs out.
Unfortunatley, I didn't look hard enough. He was in there. The dogs attacked
the cage, so of course I go charging across the back yard in nothing but a
t-shirt and drawers to get the cage. Those suckers are HEAVY! The dogs
continued to attack the cage with ME holding it as the raccoon is trying to
get to my fingers. I accidentally dropped him and thought OK, this is not
going to work. So back into the house I go. Put on some clothes, got the
leashed, corralled the dogs and put them back in and got the coon under the
carport where he'd be in the shade til the trapper could come and get him. And
the whole time I'm wondering why I paid this dude to come and drop off a trap.
Anyway, the coon is gone and I've only seen two more but they didn't linger.

I will send pictures if I ever get around to taking any. I can't seem to find
time to do anything except water, work, and sleep these days. I have great
friends here who have taken care of a lot of the indoor decorating thank
goodness as they know I hate and it would take me a year to get around to
doing everything. My sister is coming to visit tomorrow for four days and she
loves to decorate too so she can just have at it. The yard is where I want to
be. I just want the inside of the house to be cute and liveable.

The dogs are adjusting finally. We had a few rough spots. I went out of town
after we'd only been here a couple of weeks and my small guy Lennox decided to
attack my big guy Austin, which hasn't happened in 3 years. When I first got
them Lennox would do that. Anyway, new house, new person taking care of them.
I think Lennox just flipped. In the past Austin would try to get away from
him. Well, apparently, this time he had enough. Austin weighs about 80 lbs and
Lennox about 50. Austin pinned Lennox and shook him like a rag so there was
blood everywhere when I got home. Their both fine and no more incidents. I
think Lennox might have learned his lesson. They seem happy now, particualry
since we got the dog door installed. They love the back yard and this is the
first time they've really had a really thick lawn so there's lots of rolling
and lying around on their backs with their paws up in the air. Too funny, and
a lot less dirt in my house.

Happy birthday to all those I missed. SORRY! I was with you in spirit. I
confess I did not read all of the messages as I had 854 emails when I got
plugged back in. Someone hit the highlights for me!