Re: now that the weather has calmed down

I have never cut back my columbines... and if these were mine I probably would just let them go. But that is not from experience..just my thoughts. It would be better for them to look a little ratty and get over it then to die because they didn't have enough leaves to live.
Tricia
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:34 AM
Subject: [CHAT] now that the weather has calmed down

I know that you can cut columbine back to the crown now and the plants will sprout new leaves. My qstn is, can this be done on recently dug & potted columbines? or are they already under too much stress? These were dug a couple of weeks ago. Leaves look pretty ratty, some have leaf miners, some appear to have sawfly damage, though I don't see the larvae. I did see some about a month ago.
What do you think?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5