Re: Donna and tornadoes/OKLA storms

I assume you are talking about roads? Things change very fast in these situations. Will you be flying or driving in? If you are flying, which airport are you coming in to? I expect that US 61 from St Louis will be no problem into Hannibal. The new bridge in Hannibal is high enough that it should stay open unless the levees on the IL side give, and so far, we have had no sign of that. If that one closes, there is the Bayview bridge in Quincy that should stay open, as long as the levee on the MO side holds. From Springfield, IL, 72 and 172 into Quincy should be fine... again, as long as the Sny levee holds. I'm gaming this situation, too, because my spring trip to visit my elderly aunt in NJ is scheduled for this coming weekend. I leave from St. Louis on Friday and return on Sunday. If you make it here, let me know - would love to meet.
Cathy
On Jun 15, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Patricia wrote:

Cathy,
My husband has accepted a temp position that will be bringing us to Hannibal, Missouri by next week for a few days. Then on to Taylorville, Ill for the next 6 months. Any advice on what to avoid? We will go by way of Bella Vista, Arkansas to visit my daughter and our son at Camp War Eagle in Rogers, Arkansas. I remember sand bagging when we lived in Cape Girardeau,Missouri. Cape wasn't in any danger but the little surrounding towns were. I will never forget how strange it was to see this wall of sandbags and so much water on the other side. Stay safe!
Tricia
----- Original Message ----- From: "cathy carpenter" <cathycrc@comcast.net >
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna and tornadoes/OKLA storms

Yep! We have started sandbagging operations to shore up the levees on our stretch of the Mississippi. Quincy is on a bluff, so the town is not threatened, but the water treatment facility is. One of our two bridges is closed because of water on the Missouri side, but the other is useable as is the new bridge to Hannibal, MO. River is supposed to crest on Thursday at or above 1993 levels. Just hope our levees hold this time. No rain predicted for the next several days, but the humidity is awful, and I'm behind on weeding already. Am trying to catch up on mail after having daughter, son in law, and two grandsons visiting for a week. Nice to see them, but also to be getting back to normal!
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b