Re: home : )/Amtrak

I must confess that I like to drive. Don't know why; just enjoy it, good weather or bad. But I've also taken the train a bunch of times, and enjoyed that also. My last of any consequence was the Auto Train from WDC to Florida. Not much to say about it because it was mostly at night. Most memorable was a trip from Denver to Salt Lake City--left Denver in the evening and snaked up the eastern slope of the Rockies, then followed the Colorado River down to Grand Junction before turning north. Great trip. The train had a naturalist/geologist guide who pointed out sights--bald eagle nests, geologic formations--as we trundled along.

The club car [which always has the best seats for viewing the countryside] was the temporary residence of a large contingent of self- described jack Mormons [I'd never heard the term before] who regaled us with amusing stories about growing up in that singular faith and finally, as the renegade Catholics say, "kicking the habit." Probably an experience I'll never forget.
.

On Jun 27, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/ SCSRT wrote:

Take along some Dramamine. Husband wishes he had...but who knew you
could get train-sick?

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Theresa G.
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:39 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] home : )/Amtrak

Yep- but not that far.  You'll want to see how long it will take you.
The train is definitely more fun and easier than driving though.
Theresa

Patricia Dickson wrote:
We just drove in....11:45 Pm...  2 days of driving.  Long long way to
drive.
I may check on the train for my next drive up.  Has anyone ever taken
Amtrak?
Tricia