what would you do?

  • Subject: what would you do?
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:56:28 -0500

I've been at my current job since the first of February. Wonderful bunch of people. The guy next to me said his wife asked him to ask me if I had Basket of Gold and, if not, would I like some. I haven't seen this plant in 10 yrs and thought it would be a nice addition. I said I'd trade her a Butterfly Weed - Asclepias tuberosa.

He brought me the plant this morning and, though I really didn't recall Basket of Gold, Aurinia saxatilis, all that well, I knew this wasn't it. It looked very familiar, like an Oenothera. Turns out it is a special variety of Sundrops, Oenothera fruticosa 'Fireworks'. I can't find any reference to this plant being called Basket of Gold.

So, should I tell her? I'd want to know and I don't mind being corrected, but I've never met her. Should I just be gracious and thank her (via her husband) and say nothing or tell her how lucky she hi to have this special Sundrops?

What would you do?

neIN, Zone 5