Re: Cat breakthrough
  • Subject: Re: Cat breakthrough
  • From: "Zemuly Sanders" <zemuly@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:56:53 -0500

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Cat breakthrough

I thought I had posted the first part of that story a week ago, but I don't see it. This is from May 29th: Some of you know that we've been trying to tame an adult feral cat for more than a year. We'd tried to tame him before winter, but it was not to be. He spent the winter nights in one of our chicken coops and was very wary of us, even though he'd eat the food we provided.

A few months ago, he started to slowly blink when we spoke to him. A few weeks ago, he started rolling over and over and making "air biscuits" when we came out to feed him.

In the last couple of weeks, we've stayed nearby after putting food in his dish, and a week or so ago, started leaving our hands near the dish after filling it. A few days ago, he touched my finger with his nose, then ran back into his comfort zone.

Last evening, he rolled and wiggled so close to me that he touched my finger with a paw, then realized what he had done, jumped up with a Halloween cat move and left. Yesterday, when he was doing the roll and air biscuit routine, he let me pet his tail and one foot with one finger before running away.

This morning, he rubbed against my leg while I was feeding him, then realized what he'd done and scurried under the car. He didn't hide there very long, though. This afternoon, I held out my finger while he was rolling around. He touched my finger with a paw, and didn't run. It was kind of like the moment in E.T. when the alien and the little boy met.

What a great story.  I love that.