RE: Summer arrives
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Summer arrives
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:32:00 -0700

I was pretty happy about the ring, you bet.
Foxtails are what we call the seeds from a couple types of annual grassy
weeds, here we have wild barley and red brome. The dried seedheads have
a wicked sharp point and are barbed like fish-hooks. They get caught in
the coat or in an ear, in between toes, wherever and the barbs just keep
working their way in until they pierce the skin. I battle it every year
but it is everywhere, there are thousands and thousands of acres covered
with this stuff, the only thing to do is mow, weed, and hack it down
from January through June.

Cyndi