Re: It's really summer now
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: It's really summer now
  • From: Patricia Dickson <pdickson53@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:40:58 -0500

 Me too?? I would love to have a recipe for dill green beans.  Sounds
wonderful!

My garden is really suffering from the heat and drought.  I have gathered
several zucchini squash and the pumpkin vine is taking over everything but
the tomatoes are almost leafless from the black blister bugs.  Does anyone
have suggestions on how to get rid of them?  I don't like to use chemicals
so I have been squashing them but they are getting smarter and dropping into
the mulch then stay very still so I can't see them or burying themselves in
the mulch.

 My okra is short but growing, I have gathered some jalapenos and a few bell
peppers and growing but not many.  The yellow squash is way behind.... I
have green beans almost ready to start producing but the black eyed peas are
slow getting growing.
I have cucumbers and they are beginning to vine and flower so cukes must not
be far behind.

We have had 100+ degrees most of the month with no rain to speak of.  This
would all be ok if the wind wasn't blowing almost every day at 20+ mph.  I
compare it to cooking something in a convection oven.  Our county is in a
fire ban for the month.  We did have .7 in of rain last night with a
possibility of a sprinkle tonight.  It has stayed hot overnight too so the
plants have no recovery time.

We spent last week in Angel Fire NM and Santa Fe, NM.  It was so pleasant to
have the cooler temperatures.  The negative was the fires that started and
the threat of fire everywhere all the way out and back.

My lavendar has done really well, russian sage, black/blue sage, victoria
blue sage, and the "Becky" daisy is starting to bloom.  I hope everyone else
is having a better year gardening.
Tricia

--
Patricia Dickson