Re: Dilly Beans
gardenchat@hort.net

Thanks, they sound good.

ETN Zone 7

From: "Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI Johnson" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:23:52 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Dilly Beans

I don't have my recipe book here but this one from the web looks about
right; although seems like my processing time at the end might be
longer. I always use garlic and the hot pepper flakes. I also try to
make it decorative by placing the dill heads flat against the side of
the jar, so it looks like a fan when the beans are packed inside. If you
don't have dill heads you could use dill weed from the market, or even
dried, plus some dill seed in the bottom of the jar...maybe a
tablespoon? If you can't find pickling salt, use non-iodized table
salt.

Pack the beans very tight in the jars. They will shrink a little when
processed and if they are not jammed in there, they'll float and it
looks unattractive. What I do is blanch them in boiling water for 1
minute first, that makes them more flexible and also eliminates some of
the shrinkage. You don't want them cooked, just hot.

If you don't know how to do a boiling water bath or sterilize jars,
there are excellent directions on the Ball Preserving web site,
www.freshpreserving.com. You can do this without dedicated canning
equipment, but be very careful lifting the hot jars out of the boiling
water if you do not have a jar lifter. And you don't have to make the
whole recipe either, I have done as few as 3 jars at a time.

Dilly Beans

4 lb. fresh tender green or yellow beans (5 to 6 inches long)
8 to 16 heads fresh dill
8 cloves garlic (optional)
1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
4 cups water
1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes (optional)

YIELD: About 8 pints

PROCEDURE: Wash and trim ends from beans and cut to 4-inch lengths (my
note: if you are using a wide mouth jar, the top of the bean will be
about 3/4" down, for a narrow mouth jar the top of the bean should be at
the jar shoulder). In each hot sterile pint jar, place 1 to 2 dill
heads, and if desired, 1 clove of garlic. Place whole beans upright in
jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Trim beans to ensure proper fit, if
necessary. Combine salt, vinegar, water and pepper flakes (if desired).
Bring to a boil.
Add hot solution to beans, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and
process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Cyndi