Re: Question re: Astilbe NOW Blue Hostas

I've found this so, Cathy.  Just about any of the H. sieboldiana
types are pretty slug resistant.  I have also got a gold one that I
think is 'Piedmont Gold'; very corrugated leaves and never any slug
damage.  Also don't find it on H. montana "Aureomarginata', which
does not have corrugated leaves.  Actually, now I think about it, the
larger forms seem to sustain much less slug damage than the tiny
ones...but I think the sieboldiana types are least prone to slug
munching.  One that I am particularly fond of is Hosta 'Blue
Angel'...it makes a very imposing feature in the border after a few
years.

Re: hosta flowers - actually, I enjoy them.  I don't understand their
removal but shade gardens will take any flowers in mid summer that
they can get:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade