Re: Re: wintering containers

These are plain old molded black plastic nursery containers.  All pushed
together in a group against the back of the house.  Then I go around the
edge with a roll of insulation, usually bubblewrap, or, this time, a foil
covered 25 ft roll.  Sometimes I use blue insulation board as it is
somewhat flexible, sometimes styrofoam.  Then I go around that with those
little foldup fences to keep it in place.  and sometimes a second row of
fencing - then I fill between the two with shredded leaves.  All depends on
time and material available.  This year I topped it with a suggestion by
Steve Kendall.  A layer of cheap landscape fabric, then a layer of straw,
and then another layer of fabric.  This allows moisture through and some
breathability, but the straw isn't directly on the crowns.  Also any spaces
between the crowns and the fabric are additional insulation.