Re: An Amaryllis tale

Quoth Maddy Mason:

Subject: [CHAT] An Amaryllis tale

I usually have a few Amaryllis bulbs in the house in the Winter, and sometimes I have good luck getting them to bloom a second year, sometimes not. But this year I got one as a Christmas present that simply blew me
It came preplanted in a simple plastic pot and I don't know the variety name (it was a white one brushed with bright red) but what was so amazing to me is
that the flower stalk (and there was just one) had EIGHT flowers on it instead of the usual four! What a sight that was! Has anyone ever seen
this happen before, and does anyone know if it will bloom the same way if I
can get it to bloom again next year, or will it go back to the usual 4
It also took a lot longer to bloom than the others on the same
windowsill. In fact, it is just finishing now.
anyone know?)
How many leaves did it have when flowering ? I think the key is
the more leaves, the better the subsequent flowering. I grow mine on
the back west-facing deck all summer and into fall. I fertilize with a
slow-release fertilizer; as Kitty said/implied, the more the better,
up to some ill-defined point. Just _what_ that point might be, I'm not sure.
I sure have never had one with eight flowers... :-(.
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W
USDA Zone 7