RE: Surry Gardens, weather, corn plant

Chris - lovely photographs!  Thanks for sharing.

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 7:45 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Surry Gardens, weather, corn plant

Dear Marge and Theresa,

Thank you for your comments in regards to my article!  I hope that it is
well received.  A lot of the content is dedicated to descriptions of
plants that could be used with daylilies and I'm thinking that daylily
people may find it too tedious! I added a paragraph about Zone 3 plants,
so that should appease those from points north. Oh, well, you can't
please everyone!  The editor of the newsletter approached me after
reading it, so at least she was interested!  As Marge and others know,
writing is a lot of work!

As I looked out the window I could see that some of our snow cover is
melting.  I can see some grass today!  The flower beds seem to hold the
snow longer and they've got at least 6" still on them!  There's no way I
can start any clean up yet.  Parts of the yard are flooded.  I've got
15' ponds!  It's interesting to note though where water is puddleing and
where it is high and dry.

I have a Corn Plant, Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana', that's about 8'
-10' high.  It's been filling the house with the most delicious
fragrance!  The bloom stalk is about 18" long and so heavy that it broke
off one of the minor trunks!  I'm going to post some pics if you'd like
to look.  Those of you in FLA get to enjoy this fragrance outdoors, but
for us it's a bit of spring in the air!

Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/chrispnpt

Long Island, NY
Zone 7