From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hello/now vegetables
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:28:02 EST

I think it's really surprising, and more than a bit sad, that so many of you
good gardeners don't seem to like garden produce.

As for cooking methods, there are so many good, easy and nutritious ways.
For starters, firm veggies like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels
sprouts, snow peas, green beans, etc. are delicious just blanched in boiling
water for just a few minutes until crisp-tender and dressed with a bit of
olive oil and lemon juice and garlic.

A special treat for us is roasted vegetables, which take a bit more time to
cut into bite-sized pieces. Heat a flat pan containing a small amount of
olive oil, Kosher salt and dried marjoram in a 450 degree oven. Put the
firmest veggies, like carrots, turnips, rutabagas, or sweet potatoes in
first. Plan your sequence and add each vegetable, stirring to coat with the
oil, as it is cut up. Onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, snow peas, green
beans, squash all are good roasted. I usually combine four or five kinds,
ending with the tenderist, like snow peas. The whole process may take 20
minutes to half an hour, but they are soooo good.

And then there are stir-fries. Almost any combination of vegetables with or
without a small amount of meat may be cooked quickly in a wok or large
skillet. I use lemon juice and canned chicken broth thickened with
cornstarch or Wondra flour for the sauce, but soy sauce is more conventional.
As you can see, we avoid even the butter - I only use butter to make
Christmas candy, though I would still enjoy it.

This is the weekend to plant peas, and the garden here is still covered with
about six inches of hard-packed snow. At least I can dream. Fresh
vegetables from the garden are a real joy - sorry not everyone appreciates
them. Auralie