Re: was smoke tree/ now tree care

In a message dated 3/20/03 8:58:19 PM, judybrowning@lewiston.com writes:

>I'm not familiar with the term "stool" in this context.
Judy, you've rcd lots of good infor on the term already.  I might add
coppicing or stumping are also interchangeable terms.  This promotes bolder,
larger foliage and/or more intense variegation as well as controls growth. I
do not cut mine as severe as suggested and it will get to a height of 10' by
August.  I don't really miss the 'smoke' and that eliminates the deadheading
of the remains of the bloom.
    Salix integra 'Hakuro-Nishiki' is a smaller shrub that lends it self to
this and will thus produce the bold variegation we love.  Catalpa
bignonioides 'Aurea' is one that is suggested to severely prune for the same
reasons.  I don't have this one but if I had room I would definitely add this
to the landscape.
    A former home we owned had a honeysuckle hedge around the back yard which
we would stool (to the ground) about every 5-6 yrs.  This would produce a
very full, thick hedge.
    Marge stated this would shorten their life.  I was not aware of this.  My
smoke tree is about 11-12 yrs old.