Re: plants for DRY, semi-shade

Thanks, Pam...I wondered about that but was not sure.  SC isn't as
hot as Texas, tho', I don't think...have lived in Texas, but did not
garden there....IMO Texas summers are totally brutal:-)  Think SC is
more humid, at least the parts I've been in.  But, given latitude,
the sun could be just as intense.

I know I can grow things in part shade that need full sun further
north, so the farther south you get, the more shade plants can
tolerate.

Think rosemary will take about any soil as long as it drains well;
that seems key with them.  I've seen huge shrubs of rosemary in S.
CA...and that makes me think of another plant that may do well -
Agapanthus...they grow in the median strips around LA and should be
hardy in SC.

Hmmmm.....now, I wonder about some of the Agastaches...I only have
that really common hardy one with the sort of faded blue/purple
flowers whose name escapes me right now, but there are some really
marvelous cultivars - one would about fill that planter:-)  They are
drought tolerant, aren't they?

I think the key is going to be whether these plants can get enough
water until they are established.....sounds like there are quite a
few that will otherwise do well in the light and soil conditions.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :