Re: smoke tree

In a message dated 3/21/03 8:54:09 PM, kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

>BTW, Syringa - LILACS! - are also suggested as good subjects for coppicing.
Kitty, if you severely prune an entire lilac in the spring or immediately
after blooming I think you would not have bloom the next year.  I think it is
best to selectively prune cutting out the oldest wood to the ground.  This
will keep the lilac in bloom and promote new growth to maintain a desirable
full plant.
    Some of the books list other trees/shrubs that this is applicable but
which die to the ground each winter for northern gardeners.  Examples would
be Lespedeza, Sambucus & buddelei.  Nature does the
stooling/stumpping/coppicing for us.