Re: Agastaches + Artemisia + more was: plants for DRY, semi-shade

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Agastaches + Artemisia + more was: plants for DRY, semi-shade
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:12:26 -0500

I know, Kitty and I really, really wish I had the sun to grow some of
them.  Major sigh....

Pam, if this is a planter, maybe the soil could be amended...if it
drains well, they ought to be able to take a clay base soil, don't
you think?

Artemisias!  Why did I forget that?  A. 'Powis Castle' is one of my
all-time favorite plants and would look smashing billowing out of a
planter...also grows in part shade and clay with no problem as long
as it has good drainage.

I've also thought of a few more that I forgot that I think would
do...

Acanthus hungaricus - major plant in size; one of those and a 'Powis
Castle' would fill that puppy up:-)  A. mollis does well in shade,
but droops if it gets too dry; this one is in a very dry spot, in
clay and does fine.

Marrubium rotundifolium - one of the horehounds, is a charming
white/green felty leafed plant that I bought from Siskiyou back in
'89 and which grew away just fine in clay in what passes for sun for
me and a dry spot until I let my Acanthus hungaricus grow over it one
too many times.  It let me know that it did not like that by dying
last year...could kick myself for letting this happen.  I note they
still carry it and mean to get another.  I think I got it as a
Ballota pseudodictamnus substitute as it is hardier and not subject
to melting in hot, humid climates like the Ballota, which I have
always coveted.

http://web.kadel.cz/skalnicky/Images/WebSize/088c.jpg

is an image of it - H&H Botanicals listed it last year; may still
have it.

Another large plant that I love is Phlomis fruitcosa...again, felty
gray-green leaves.  It flowers, tho' mine doesn't from lack of sun;
but makes a very substantial plant over time.  It is somewhat
marginally hardy for me; lost my big one, but the one in pure sand,
which did not get as large as the one in better soil in a planter,
seems to still be there after this winter.  Very drought tolerant.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
>
> Agastaches....
> Marge, yes, there are tons of new and old ones becoming more and
more
> available.  If interested, should get High Country Gardens
catalogue.
> Also, there was a tip in a recent Horticulture issue on "Carrying
Dryland
> Agastaches (A. cana and A. rupestris hybrids) through eastern
winters"
> We've ordered several new Agastaches for the Display Gardens and
I'm