Re: Clivia bloom was: Island Jim photos link.... new pics

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Clivia bloom was: Island Jim photos link.... new pics
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:42:51 -0500

> From: Cersgarden@aol.com
> And that is what?
Re: getting a Clivia to bloom:

Giving it a cool, relatively dry resting period in winter does the
trick, plus actually feeding the poor thing during its active growth
period; something I'm usually pretty lax about.

For years, I wintered it in the house, thinking it wanted warm
temperatures, and, of course, watered it with the rest of the

I can't remember who posted or where, but someone said that you have
to give these children cool, dry rest periods.  So, I put it in my
greenhouse for winter - gets to around 40F there and sometimes a bit
colder, but I put this close to the garage opening, where it's the
warmest so it wouldn't freeze.  And, LO!  it bloomed last year, but
in summer and this year it's blooming now.  Why, the change in bloom
time, I do not know.

I summer it outside under our covered walk at the edge where it gets
some early morning rays...well, actually leaning up against one of
the columns as it wants to be so top heavy it won't sit up straight
by itself.  I have finally potted it up just a bit.  They want to be
rootbound, but the poor thing was in a 6" pot and there wasn't any
soil left at all.  Just did that as it was coming into bud, so that
wasn't a factor in blooming this year.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :