Re: achin' bods...was: Hello/now vegetables

> From: Zemuly@aol.com
> My poor body!! Y'all I was out in the yard all day long, and I know
I am too
> old for that kind of punishment.

I'll second that, Zem...my old bod is telling me about it right
now:-)  Arms are achin' from pruning hedges.

One of those days when the major goal was pruning and I got
sidetracked for a few hours clearing matted leaves off beds of noses
trying to come up for air...many paths now look like long compost
heaps...got a lot of cleaning up to do....plus the pruning that
didn't get finished on account of the sidetracking...

After this interminable winter, everything that would normally have
been up for weeks is trying to come up all at once.  I just wish I
could have 2 weeks off to stay out in the garden and get the clean up
done before plants have grown so tall it's tough to do.

Hellebores who were just mashed leaves last weekend are blooming!
Crocus are blooming...spring is actually here  HOORAH!!

Wonder if the green slimy stuff you were slippin' and slidin' in was
chickweed?  That pain in the buttocks is off to a roaring good start
and big mats of it are slippery; they always seem to stay damp
underneath.  If I had a penny for every chickweed plant I have pulled
in the last 20 years, I could retire a rich woman...

This is the best time to pull up clumps of wild onion and garlic;
roots aren't firmly in place and the soil is moist so you can get the
whole shebang in one lump, plus most of the little drop off bits that
will grow on to show you next year where you pulled the big clump
from this year.

I also notice the cute little rosettes belonging to one of my most
hated weeds - bitter cress (Cardamine hirsuta or Pensylvanica) are
expanding nicely...gotta get those before they bloom...

So much to do and so little time!!!!!!!
Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :