RE: small lilac

Your small find.....is it attached to a larger shrub or all by its
lonesome?  If attached, slice down hard and as deeply as possible close to
the parent and try to get some root with it.  I usually pot these up and
give away or sell them.  If keeping, plant as any other small shrub, water
well, use some root booster.  All by its lonesome?  If its where you want
it, don't need to do anything - if not, move with as much root as possible.
Again use a root booster when planting.

Kitty