Re: Island Jim's clivia in FULL bloom link

Donna wrote:
Well now.... seems that Island Jim's clivia is in full bloom now.... :)

That's a fairly nice one, though in today's Clivia parlance it
might be closer to a 'peach'. If it were mine, I'd get at it
with a camel's hair brush and pollinate everything in sight.
The seed berries get left on for a long time, months if I recall
and are reputed to be fairly easy to germinate. As apparently
the yellow color is via mitochondrial inheritance (passed through
the mother), a 'yellow' x 'another yellow' will always have 'yellow'
offspring, to one degree or another, and you'll never get a yellow
from selfing one of the reds. A yellow by a red will produce a
quantity of things tending toward yellow but only if the yellow acts
as the seed parent (mother). If Theresa has a yellow, you might with
profit exchange pollen between you to see what might turn up.
And a truly good yellow is a pricy thing; to see what I mean,
got to Dalton Durio's Louisiana Nursery and look at the prices he
charges for Clivias:
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W