From: Marge Talt <mtalt@hort.net>
Sent: 03/24/03 11:36 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] much too much mulch

> Well, Kitty, don't know if you have a spot, but if you do, pile it
up, watering each layer and adding a few handfuls of something high
nitrogen, like blood meal, and let it rot.  Key to rotting straw,
IMO, is to make sure it's damp thru' as you make the pile.  If you
pile it dry and just water the top, the center never gets wet.  That
huge pile will rot down pretty fast once the weather is warm IF you
add nitrogen.  If you don't, it will rot, but it will take some time
to do it.  Do you have a compost heap?  Is there room for another
'straw' heap next to it, if you do?

Alternately, if you have a shrub border with something in front of
it; you can use this to mulch the back part, where it's not so
visible.  My problem with straw is the nice golden color, which sorta
stands out like a sore thumb.  You can mash it down and put some bark
mulch - or even leaves - on top to hide the color if it shows.

Or, you could use it to start a new planting bed for future - pile it
where you want the bed, stomp it down and then throw leaves and other
organic stuff on it all season - hose it down periodically to keep it
damp and by next year, you ought to have a nice bed of stuff to plant
something in with the addition of a bit of soil and what-not.

If you have a veggie bed, it makes a good mulch for veggies - or you
can use it to mulch the paths between raised veggie beds.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
<a target=_blank
<a target=_blank