RE: fern id

So Marge- how do you care for your rabbit's foot fern??

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:00 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] fern id

Well, Kitty, it can't be a rabbit or hare's foot fern - no way in z
5. I've got one of these, kindly ID'd by the grand folks on fern.net
- it puts out furry rhizomes that eventually swallow the container
it's it.  It lives in the g.h. over winter and outside with some sun
for part of the day in summer; lovely thing now I know how to take
care of it.  Almost killed it at first.

Without a photo of your fern, it's gonna be real tough to ID it.
When it comes up this year, take some pix.  Get the croziers as they
open, the mature frond, form of clump and then the pattern of spores
on the reverse of the frond.  Size of frond is also an issue, so put
a ruler next to it when you take the photo.

If you get those pix and send to me (either scanned via email or I
can scan for you), I will put them up on the web and post a query to
fern.net...if anybody can ID a fern, they're on that list.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :