Re: re nursery interview/I'm back!

And glad to have you back.

On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at 08:56 PM, Andrea H wrote:

Hi all, I'm back. I missed you guys too much! First, congratulations Kitty
on your new job! That is so exciting. I know you'll be great at it.

I'm glad to see everyone is still here. I read through most of the posts
today already. Jim, it sounds like your friend really made a great find, let
us know what the paleontologist says.

I'm excited about spring coming. It's in the low 70's here tonight. I've got
the windows open. Pam sent me some great salvia seeds that I'm going to
start, and I have a greenhouse full of plants just waiting to get outside.
I'm waiting until the 15th though. that's usually our last frost. I've got
so little cover in the yard I don't want to be scrambling to cover
everything after I move it out.

I start teaching classes at the Garden Gate in the 13th. Apparently people
are clambering for us to start so we're off and running for the next 10
weeks or so. I've got to learn all about herbs so if anyone has a good list
out there for herbs and their practical uses that would be great.

Glad to be back!

Andrea H Beaufort, SC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 3:38 PM Subject: Re: [CHAT] re nursery interview apparel

Jesse, Lynda, Auralie, Pam, Donna,
Thanks for all the good thoughts; I am so grateful.

Wouldn't buy tons of stuff till you see how the job goes...
Well, the few pieces I bought so far I sort of needed anyway

can't wear boots in a greenhouse, too hot, even in the dead of winter.
They don't have a greenhouse. Most of my work will be done outdoors.

similiarly anyways... no jeans!... yipes
no jeans. I know that sounds strange in these times. I'm short and even
the petites or short length are usually too long. I'm also overweight and
find jeans uncomfortable. Hopefully this job will keep me running and
I'll
lose some of the excess baggage. If I weren't fat I'd definitely be a
jeans
& t-shirt type.

Kitty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna" <justme@prairieinet.net> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 1:43 PM Subject: Re: [CHAT] re nursery interview apparel

I knew you would get the job.... glad Hort Ed made them smell the coffee
and see the gem of an employee you will be....

Wouldn't buy tons of stuff till you see how the job goes... I personally
can't wear boots in a greenhouse, too hot, even in the dead of winter.

Interesting to me... tend to think everyone dresses like me or similiarly anyways... no jeans!... yipes I would not have anything to wear!... Personally, I only wear other clothes when I absolutely have too... which is about 3 times a year.... (I wear jeans to work too).

Donna the jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt person.

----- Original Message ----- From: Kitty Sent: 3/2/2004 10:29:10 AM To: gardenchat@hort.net Subject: [CHAT] re nursery interview apparel

I got the call yesterday. I start working at Arbor Farms some time
next

week. I'm sure I would not have gotten this job but for the
Horticulture

Educator at our CES. He went to school with the owners and called
them
on

my behalf. Any ideas on what sort of thank you I should give him?

New thoughts on apparel: I start next week - they'll let me know when
they

get word of the expected arrival of their truck delivery from Oregon.
Snow

has melted and things will be muddy, so I figured I needed some boots.

Also, I am used to wearing canvas slipons all spring, summer, fall.
These

won't be the best thing for day-in, day-out on my feet, so I decided
get

some more durable leather tie shoes. So I went shopping yesterday for

sale on footwear. Also got a pair of cotton twill pants and 2 pair of
jeans

(I didn't have any).

Today I got a call from a nursery just 5 blocks away (AF is 10 miles)

responding to an unsolicited resume I had sent. Oh well, I'm fairly
sure

they wouldn't have paid what I'll get at AF. I'm not going to get
rich
at

AF, but I will be able to pay my bills, though I won't be able to save

anything. I'm looking at it as sort of like school or an
apprenticeship
or

'paying my dues' to get some hands-on experience in this field. So,
I'm

still broke, but still in the black - more than I can say for our
govt!

I'm thrilled to embark on a new career. I only hope I'm up to the
task.

Thanks for the support you all have given me; it is truly appreciated,
much

more than you can know.

Kitty

http://www.hort.net/funds/