Re: Big Bend National Park

In a message dated 03/03/2004 6:07:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:

> Who has been there? When is the best time to go? Wildflowers would be
> my interest. Thanks.

One of our favorite places, Jim.  Absolutely fantastic.  The best time to go
is about now until the end of April - after that it gets hideously hot.  We
were there once in May and the temps were like  112 degrees.  The wildflowers in
early March, 2000 were incredible.  I've heard they were less good the
following year because of drought conditions.  It's hard to get to - sorta you can't
get there from here.  We have driven a couple of times.  Last time we flew in
to Midland and drove a rented car from there.  The Gage Hotel in Marathon is
the place to stop on the way in - but be sure to stay in the new part.  Beds
are uncomfortable in both, but the ambience is great, and so is the food.
Really a special sort of place  for both wildflowers and birds - and scenery - and
just about anything else.  I hope you go and enjoy it as much as we have.
Here is a link.         Auralie
Big Bend National Park Official NPS Website