Re: Cast Iron plant

Hi, Noreen. Down here the variegated cast iron plant is about the only alternative to variegated shell ginger for lightening up shady areas in a landscape--without creating a maintenance nightmare with marantas and calatheas.

Richard DuPont, incidentally, has a winter home here. He has a large koi pond in a shady location and it is pretty much circled with marantas and calatheas. The humidity generated by the pond seems to have prevented the plants from browning out--so far.

The house where the blooming one was picked is near here. Maybe I'll go see them tomorrow and take some pictures.