Re: OT--Music

Thanks, pal. Thought about how Mr Mac was built for this sort of stuff. I've got a call in to a friend in Australia who runs a Mac-based sound studio. I'm sure she'll add to the mix.

I'm not opposed to some sort of stand alone lash-up, however; nor is quality of particular concern [some of the recordings were in mono to start with]. For instance, I've got on tape Peter Rowan's and John Prine's first big records, which were both 78s. I also have a tape of Robert Frost reading "The Witch of Coos" that I want to preserve in digital. It is, well...

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, at 06:44 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jim,
I would think that your new "does-it-all" computer might have an analog
input. If not, I'm sure there's some sort of hardware you could buy. I do
all my analog to digital on my Phillips unit that is attached to my stereo,
not my computer. It will take any analog or digital input and record to an
AudioCDR. I think though that the age of the original and each transference
may have an effect on the quality of the final CD. 78rpm > tape > CD.

Another alternative would be to buy a radio signal adaptor to play any
device such as MP3, CDplayer, Tape Player through your truck's radio,
powered by the cigarette lighter.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: "Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 6:10 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT--Music

Donna, anyone--Know about digitizing songs that are in analog on
cassettes so they can be burned onto CDs? I've got a few "nifty"
cassettes that were recorded from 78s and 45s and I'd sure like to be
able to play them in the truck once in awhile. Also concerned about the
longevity of the tape; not the archive medium of choice, I suspect.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida