From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now grandkids
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:19:49 EST

In a message dated 03/18/2004 7:59:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jesserenebell@hotmail.com writes:

> LOL, LOL....I hear ya Zem. My son is joining the military...and I'm
> anti-war. Go figure. But ya know, if that is what he wants to do, I stand
> behind him. It's his life, his choice.

We were quite disappointed and upset when our oldest son joined the Navy
instead of going to college etc. After a time, he enrolled in a correspondence
college course and got out early to complete his education (this was the 70's
when you could do that) and did very well at SUNY Albany. He had had a very
difficult teen-age - the early 70s were not an easy time - but the Navy
straightened him out and set him on a career path. His college degree was in
cartography, with a minor in French literature, but he immediately went to work at his
first love - airplanes. His first job was a very minor one at a local
airport, but soon he was working for Grumman on Long Island on their experimental
planes. To make a long story short, he is now a manager of a department of
safety checks at Alaska Air at SEATAC (Seattle).
When his son, who was never as difficult as he had been, but was not very
mature, decided, after a year, that college wasn't what he wanted and joined the
Navy, my son said "What can I say - that's just what I did." Neither of us
had any connections with military in our backgrounds, and I guess we really
didn't think it was quite acceptable, but I have to say my son came out of his
military experience much better than he went in. If you had told me when he was
18 that he would have turned into such a responsible, solid citizen,
excellent parent that he is now, I would have said "No way!" So just keep on standing
behind him and letting him make his own choices. Trying to make choices for
our children only leads to unhappiness all around.
Auralie

http://www.hort.net/funds/

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn