Re: Noxious weed? Nah, falling roof

I got a few thoughts on the whole invasive/native mentality. None of them kind.

But first, a report on the lighter side. We've got all these do-good county rules for landscapes [X number of approved trees, no plants under the eaves, lawn must be less than 50 percent of landscape space, no plants that the county has deemed invasive, on and on].

The amusing part is that the call on this stuff is left to building inspectors, who, as we all know, are former plumbers and carpenters who were never quite good enough or smart enough to make it in the trades. They're sort of resentful bureaucratic bubbas.

The consequence is that the "rules" are applied randomly and unevenly--some inspectors search for botanic terrorist while others sneak off pubs and practice elbow bending. [Off topic, but local TV followed one county inspector for a week when all he did was move from bar to bar 10 hours a day. Right, 2 hours were overtime.]

So when a client's CO was denied last week because she didn't have a certain number of something or other, the designer [who has landscaped all of the other houses in this 240 house development] went down to the county building to find out why the CO was denied and what needed to be done chop-chop so the woman could close and move in.

What he found was that the night before his visit, the roof of the county building had collapsed--right over the building inspectors' offices. With an expression of pure innocence, he asked Herr Chief Inspector who had signed off on the roof, and said he hoped no one was hurt.