rtd f/DC

Friends, I have rtd from our (granddaughter Nadia, I & 110 chaperones & 7th
graders) trip to DC with side trips to Baltimore, Gettysburg & Lancaster.  It
was cold and so windy but dry.  Security is tough everywhere.  I went to the
Botanical Gardens and they only allow so many in at a time.  All the bldgs had
security chks and Smithsonian's American History Bldg had a db chk so there was
lines everywhere we went.  The gardens have been renovated since I was there
last.  There was a special orchid show on display.  The area gardens had
daffodils,  forsythia and some magnolias in bloom which is more than at home.  I
did walk quickly thru the Natl Cathedral gardens but nothing in bloom.  It
wasn't as pretty as I remembered it to be.  The boxwood was very lg and seemed over
grown to me.  Mardi, this is a stop you must make but not necessarily for the
gardens.  Also revisited Mt Vernon and the boxwood hedges were so large with
large separations.  Perhaps this is the look they work for but not pleasing to
my eye.
    Donna, did you receive a pkg?
    I had 384 messages so scanned many rapidly but I do remember a discussion
of spirea.  I cut mine to approx 4"  removing old stems in the fall and trim
severely after they bloom which promotes a 2nd bloom.
    Jim, your photo was incrediable.  What is the overall length of the
display shown?
    Kitty, how goes the job?
    Anyone grow Sanicula?
    I am planting seeds tonight.  I am behind but didn't want to add more for
my husband to care for while I was gone.  He did well with the many pots in
the garden room.