Re: Sunken Gardens

> From: Donna  <justme@prairieinet.net>
>
> We also loose many plants yearly too. Seems folks think that since
it is
> a public place, they are welcome to anything :(  Some day I will
catch
> someone doing this and they will get fined!
----------

Totally amazes me what people will do.  Seems like they will take
anything not nailed down.  I was told a story about a guy who had a
nursery; his house was on the property and he had a private garden
around the house. One day a couple drove up into his garden and
started digging up plants - their excuse...well, it is a nursery.
Amazing.  Public gardens all over had tremendous problems with people
stealing plants.  And it's often really rare things that are taken -
and have to be taken by someone who knows what they are and how rare
they are and that really astounds me.  It's one thing (I guess) for
ignorant folks to take something that appeals to them, but for a
serious plant person to take a rare plant from a botanical
garden....sheesh!

If you do catch someone in the act, will they actually survive long
enough for you to fine them? ;->

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade