Re: Royal Paulownia

In a message dated 3/28/04 7:34:35 PM, hodgesaa@islc.net writes:

<< They'll cut the middle out of a live oak so it

has this giant swoop in the center.  >>

Andrea, do they use proper pruning techniques?  Many, maybe most in this area
the tree was not properly placed so the power company has little choice.
Power companies in our area now send their people to ISUs Shade Tree Short Course
to train them but now we must train the tree planters.  Our local city tree
board is responsible for that.
    We have an ash tree across the street which was planted within 8' of a
street light.  Not a problem when it was 6' high but now it is 20' or more and
the street light is hidden in the canopy.  I requested the power company trim
the tree because our area was so dark. They refused.  A few days later the
tree branches knocked the light cover off and I called again and suggested a trim
may save a personal injury lawsuit.  It was promptly trimmed but it rqd
cutting into the center of the tree, ruined the appearance but the prune job
followed the guidelines. Fortunately other utilities are underground.
    Ceres