Re: now tree hacking was Royal Paulownia

> From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@islc.net>
> that's how they do them here. It looks ridiculous, and cannot
possibly be
> healthy for the trees. It was a huge, old eastern red cedar they
did like
> that at my old place. I choked when I saw it. then of course there
are the
> live oaks with the big scoops out of the middle. ARGH!

Yeah, Andrea, and I noticed some large deciduous trees of some sort
with the exact same scoops; guess the tree guys here and yours are
related. What good that scoop does in a high wind, I do not know.  If
the tree goes, it's gonna take those wires with it since it's growing
up beyond them on both sides.

Yup, Ceres, it will be interesting to see what happens to those
trees.  I remember when they were planted - they are on a berm along
the road "screening" the house behind them.  Of course, they are now
mature and losing their lower branches, so there's not a lot of
actual screening happening unless you're a bird.  If I were the
owners of the property, I'd be livid - maybe they are.  I think that
PEPCO (our local power co.) has directed the tree guys to be very
aggressive as a result of the flack they received for the incredibly
poor performance after Isabel last year.  Not directed them to prune
with any intelligence; just to be aggressive.

My question to the otherwise micro-managing building department and
park and planning and MD dept. of transportation (all of whom have to
review plans and sign off permits) is why the people were  permitted
to plant white pines on that berm in the first place.  Any idiot
knows what size a white pine grows up to be and the berm was placed
right on the property line, so, of course, any tree planted on it was
going to spread out as it grew and get into the utility wires as the
poles are also just about on the property line.

Well, Verona, hacking those Bradford pears back horizontally is one
way to stop them from splitting in half in a storm, I guess, but not
the way anybody with any sense would go about it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :