Re: gloves

For heavy work, I wear split cow or horse hide gloves from HD. They're made in China and the sizing seem a bit peculiar to me [women's large fits best]. They usually last for about a year. But for most thing, I don't wear gloves. They seem to get in the way more than help.

On Tuesday, March 8, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:

For normal work I like those really thin knit gloves with rubber on the palms and fingers because, like you, I need to feel everything. I get mine from Walmart for $3 to $4 a pair, so when they get destroyed I just get more. I can't stand those thin rubber gloves because they make my hands sweat. Also, for heavy work I have leather palmed work gloves.
zem
zone 7
West TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Libby Valentine" <grdner03@yahoo.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: [CHAT] gloves

Some while ago, perhaps even as long ago as to have been on the AHS
list, we had a brief discussion on gardening gloves (did anyone ever get
a pair of goat gloves from Mr. Glover?). Yesterday it was in the upper
60s here (a tantalizing prelude to today, as it is now howling wind and
accumulating snow) and while I had time and weather I dug a bunch of
pesky Bermuda grass clumps out of the curbside rudbeckia/echinicea bed.
Make that dug and pulled. And since my favorite pair of gloves got holed
last year and I like to feel what I'm pulling, I ended up doing it
barehanded. Did a fair number on my hands, between splinters and scrapes
from the cut stalks and usual wear and tear, plus my fingers were
cracking anyway from winter dryness.

I have Mule work gloves for handling branches and brambles and such, but not for more delicate gardening chores.

My question to you all is: do you wear gloves for gardening and if so,
what kind? I generally can't wear women's gloves because the fingers
aren't long enough, and if I could wear them I'd need women's XL which
isn't usually available. My DH thinks I'm nuts not to have worn
gloves...

Libby
Maryland zone 6

Island Jim