Re: Okay, serious stuff

Most of these heat mats are very low wattage, Donna. They are used to warm the soil, not fry it.

On Wednesday, March 9, 2005, at 07:04 AM, Donna wrote:

Do I have to give my fire safety speach here? Yes, You
can plug in a zillion things via surge bars and other
items..... but you can only turn 'on' the capacity of
the outlet wiring! :)

Donna

--- james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:

Cyndi, consider plugging a surge bar into the timer
and heating pads
into the surge bar.

On Tuesday, March 8, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Johnson
Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR
wrote:

I have a little setup for starting seeds in my
greenhouse with a
couple heat
mats. I don't put anything between the heat mats
and the wood; if it
got hot
enough to hurt the wood I would have cooked seeds
for sure. I have been
using the plastic trays without drain holes to put
peat pots in. That
way I
can water from underneath until the seedlings are
up and ready to be
moved
out. I like the idea of the foil trays, though,
the plastic trays tend
crack after a couple of seasons and replacing them
with the aluminum
would
be easier.
My problem is that I really only need the heat on
during the night. The
greenhouse is plenty warm enough during the day so
I have timers on
the mats
to turn them on in the evening. I don't have
enough power outlets
available
to plug in more than two timers so I'm limited in
the number of seeds
I can
start. I suspect there are better ways to do this
but I'm cheap enough
that
I don't want to spend a hundred bucks or so to get
a more flexible
system
(this is probably one of those "penny-wise
pound-foolish" cases).
I also don't have lights over the seed trays
pretty much for the same
reason. That seems to work out okay, although I'm
sure they would grow
little faster with the extra hours of light.
I don't put any cover over the trays either, the
water at the bottom
keeps
everything sufficiently wet. I do have to remember
to check every day
and
make sure they're not drying out.

Cyndi