woody cuttings

Hi,
I'm cross-posting this in the hope of reaching more people.  I'm not as
skilled in this as most of you are, so I thought you might be willing to
share your insights.  I tried a few cuttings last year: Burkwood Viburnum,
Weigela, Josee Lilac, and Deutzia 'Mont Rose'.  Some of each were
successful, but I was reluctant to sink the pots over winter  as I have lost
a few in the past and these are still tiny - in 2 inch pots.  These have
been wintering instead in my garage which only gets down to about 50, in the
one south window.  They seem to be doing well, especially the Weigela which
has recently put out some nice new leaves.   But I worry that they should
have been allowed to get colder.

How important is it that such infant shrubs experience the natural cold they
would normally get in nature?  And when should I begin fertilizing them?,
with what?  (they have a little osmocote in the bottoms now)
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kitty
neIN, Z5, only 14 degrees last night