Re: Time extension for comment ref proposed changes toimport regs

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Time extension for comment ref proposed changes toimport regs
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:52:14 -0500

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> Marge, my god help me out.  This sounds like something I should be
> interested in but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm
supposed to
> read.  I'm working 14 hour days and going nuts here.  I want to
help but I
> can't if I go blind, deaf and dumb...ok, I'm already dumb but
somebody has
> to help.
----------

It is something you need to try to find a minute to digest and
respond to - we all do - esp. all who make a living out of plants.
If the 'no import' nazis get their way, that living will head down
the drain fast.  We ALL need to make comments and it would also be
very helpful if those who know nursery folks made sure they were
aware of the proposals.  Since there is no central database of
smaller nurseries and plant oriented societies, getting the word out
is not easy.

I've spent a lot of hours on this one instead of sleeping, but it's
important.  Maybe I can help...I've taken the relevant points of the
proposal and how to get find the docs, etc. info. and turned it into
an article which I put up on the Suite in the wee hours of last
night.  Article title is 'Until April 11'...here's the URL

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/114620

I had my take on the issues vetted by Joyce Fingerut, past pres. of
NARGS, who is deeply involved in the import issues on account of the
NARGS seed exchange.  She said I was on target with my
interpretation.  She is meeting with a contingent from APHIS on
Monday to discuss the import issues...I anxiously await a report on
how those meetings go.  APHIS is really out of the loop as far as
ornamental horticulture is concerned.  They were surprised to find
out that there are organized international seed exchanges...had no
idea.  They really are requesting input and information and consensus
is that it's a genuine request...not something one usually gets.
While they have their agenda in their heads, Joyce says that there
are some of them who really want to find a workable solution and
really want to find out what is going on in the real world.

If you can find time to read the article and have any questions,
email me or post and I'll try to answer them.

Never have thought of YOU as dumb, David, m'dear:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs