Re: Genus & Species

When hybridizers cross two species, say Magnolia loebneri with M.liliflora,
the resulting plant could be named a few ways and the simplest would be
Magnolia 'New Cultivar'.  They don't have to show the parents; the fact that
no species is shown indicates that it is a cross.  Some more helpful folks
occasionally might list it as M. loebneri x liliflora 'NC'.  However,
crosses aren't always that simple, there could be 3 parents involved.  Also,
say they've crossed M. acuminata with M. brooklynensis and then recrossed
back with acuminata.  In that case, M. acuminata is the stronger parent and
sometimes, you might see such a plant listed as M. acuminata 'NC', but
that's not very accurate.

To confuse things further, some lax companies with less print room or less
interest, don't consider the species important, so even if it genuinely is
Magnolia denudata 'Forrest's Pink', they may drop the denudata, which is
grossly unfair IMO.

In many cases, you may have to do some googling for parentage, but that
doesn't always work.  Or, you can find some websites you can trust to give
you the scoop such as Forest Farm.  For example, Magnolia 'Ann' - FF says:
Sweetly cinnamon-scented pink-purple blooms decorate this vigorous sm. tree
of National Arboretum introduction (M.liliflora X M.stellata).  Very nice
that they sometimes supply the parentage.  Sorry, FF doesn't carry those
Wayside entries.

If you are really interested in a specific Wayside entry, call them.
Someone at Wayside knows - or should.

neIN, Z5