Re: hamamelis

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] hamamelis
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:11:52 -0600

Libby, I've ordered a few witch hazels for our display gardens, I'll have to
check later on the varieties, but I know one, at least, was a Hamamelis
vernalis, much hardier than your H. virginiana.  However, have you
considered Winter Hazels?  CC Burrell just had an article in Horticulture
about Corylopsis and I'd go for one of those over a Hamamelis.  I think they
may bloom a little later than Witch Hazel, but he writes, "By late March,
they are the very essence of springtime, their bare branches dripping with
chains of primrose that glow from withinn.  Not until April has slipped into
May is the grand show over."